The Nurture Group room is a room based within the school, it is known as Home Quarter (HQ).
The Nurture Group Aims “To provide a carefully routined day, where there is a balance of learning and teaching, affection and structure within a home like atmosphere.”
The Six Principles of Nurture Groups…
- Children’s learning is understood developmentally.
- The classroom offers a safe base.
- The importance of nurture in the development of self-esteem.
- Language is a vital means of communication.
- All behaviour is communication.
- The importance of transition in children’s lives.
Students spend two mornings per week for approximately one to two terms.
Students are referred to Nurture Group staff for assessment by their Head of Year, Assistant Head of Year, Form Teacher or Class Teacher.
Key Skills’ promoted and developed within the Nurture Group are…
- Making decisions
- Asking & answering
- Recalling & Reflecting
- Making choices
- Talking & sharing
- Taking responsibility
There will then be half-termly assessment and monitoring by Nurture Group staff, planning strategies for re-integration (graduated support may be required for this).